Friday, August 4, 2017

Review: Frostblood by Elly Blake

Series: Frostblood Saga #1
Publication Date: January 10th 2017
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers 
Genre: YA, Fantasy, Romance 
Amazon ~ Goodreads ~ TBD


Synopsis: The frost king will burn.

Seventeen-year-old Ruby is a Fireblood who has concealed her powers of heat and flame from the cruel Frostblood ruling class her entire life. But when her mother is killed trying to protect her, and rebel Frostbloods demand her help to overthrow their bloodthirsty king, she agrees to come out of hiding, desperate to have her revenge.

Despite her unpredictable abilities, Ruby trains with the rebels and the infuriating—yet irresistible—Arcus, who seems to think of her as nothing more than a weapon. But before they can take action, Ruby is captured and forced to compete in the king’s tournaments that pit Fireblood prisoners against Frostblood champions. Now she has only one chance to destroy the maniacal ruler who has taken everything from her—and from the icy young man she has come to love.
My Rating
4/5 stars

My Review
“Face them all like a warrior, whether you are one or not.” 

Frostblood is the perfect start to a magical new series. I loved this book so much, can't wait to keep reading.

A simple careless moment brought the Frost King's army to Ruby's front door for being a Fireblood. After the captain kills Ruby's mother, Ruby is sent to the King's prison to await her sentence. When a group of monks rescue Ruby and ask her to band together with them in order to stop the King, Ruby cannot refuse. As her training begins, Ruby learns that monks believe she is part of the prophecy that will stop the darkness and bring back the light.

While this book is filled to the brim with cliches, they just happen to be all my favourite cliches and I absolutely loved it.

Ruby starts off as the lonely Fireblood that is told by her mother to keep her powers hidden, eventually she learns to control her powers and becomes stronger as she trains. I loved Ruby's personality, she's basically a ball of fire. She's not afraid to say what she thinks and she basically wears her emotions on her sleeve. I really admired her character, and her development.

Arcus, aka the love interest, was also really interesting to read about. I loved how he was able to open up to Ruby and end up trusting her. I know a few people found the romance in this book a bit sexist, since Arcus is a bit rude to Ruby in the beginning, and while I may have agreed with them in the beginning, Arcus' backstory about how he got burned by a Fireblood and other parts of his history show the reader why it took him so long to open up to Ruby and why he acted the way he did. I truly ended up loving the romance they shared, I can't wait to read more about these two.

This book would have been a perfect 5 star read for me, I loved the characters, the world and the romance, unfortunately there was one reason why I can't bring myself to give it a 5 star rating. The predictability. It was so obvious who Arcus was in the beginning of the book, and it was so obvious that Ruby was going to save the day. There were no twists in the story, and there was nothing unexpected that made me shocked. I could basically tell you the ending even without reading the book. Hopefully the next book isn't as predictable.

Overall, I really loved this book, all cliches and everything. I can't wait to continue reading this series, just hopefully it will be less predictable than this book was.

Happy Reading,
Aneta

1 comment:

  1. Great review Aneta! I'm listening to this book right now, and quite enjoying it! Like you said, there are a ton of cliches, but I'm not minding them! I hope you like the sequel even more!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...