Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Review: The Heart Forger by Rin Chupeco

Series: The Bone Witch #2
Publication Date: March 20th 2018
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Genre: YA, Fantasy
Amazon ~ Goodreads ~ TBD

Synopsis: In The Bone Witch, Tea mastered resurrection—now she's after revenge...
No one knows death like Tea. A bone witch who can resurrect the dead, she has the power to take life...and return it. And she is done with her self-imposed exile. Her heart is set on vengeance, and she now possesses all she needs to command the mighty daeva. With the help of these terrifying beasts, she can finally enact revenge against the royals who wronged her—and took the life of her one true love. 
But there are those who plot against her, those who would use Tea's dark power for their own nefarious ends. Because you can't kill someone who can never die... 
War is brewing among the kingdoms, and when dark magic is at play, no one is safe.
My Rating
5/5 stars

My Review
I adored The Bone Witch, but I absolutely fell in love with The Heart Forger. This book was everything I wanted and more. I can't even describe how perfect it was.

Tea has finally completed her army of the dead and daeva, and with Kalen and the Bard with her, she is finally read to star her war. As Tea and her army march towards Daanoris to begin her revenge, Tea continues explaining her story to the Bard starting from the time when Prince Kance fell ill with the sleeping sickness, and Tea was blamed for it.

I have always loved Tea, right from the beginning of this series, but in this book she just became so much more. We see a lot more of present Tea taking action and explaining why she is currently doing the things she is doing, and we also get to see past Tea come into her magic, protect the ones she loves and start on the path that eventually leads her to where present Tea is (If you haven't read the first book, it is told in the perspective of Tea presently, and as she tells the story of her past). There is so much character development, not only from the past Tea but also with the present Tea as well. And finally in this book the two Teas somewhat start to become one, as past Tea has to make difficult choices and face dangerous creatures that require a huge amount of magic, enough to drive any Asha mad.

The one thing I didn't like about the first book, was that present Tea's story was a bit dry and boring and I found myself skipping parts of it. However, in this book that is not the case at all. There was action in both past and present tense, and I couldn't get enough of both. It was action packed, it wasn't confusing to the reader, and I loved every moment of it.

If you've read the first book a while back, and are just picking this one up now, I would definitely recommend just looking at online spoilers of the book just to familiarize yourself with the characters, who's who and who did what. I was definitely able to remember the main characters very well even without help, but there are a lot of secondary characters that play an important role where I sort of forgot who they were, until about a half way into the book when it finally clicked on what they did in the first book and who they were exactly.

Overall, I loved the characters, the action and the world that Rin Chupeco created. I think this series may go down as one of my favourites. I am already dying, just waiting for the third book to come out. I definitely recommend this series to all YA fantasy fans.

Happy Reading,
Aneta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...